Sunday 27 January 2013

Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

Hardcover, 323 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published October 1st 2012)
ISBN 1444734148 (ISBN13: 9781444734140)

Miranda's introduction to the book:
"Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence?

Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me?

I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path.

Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

Miranda Hart made her mark appearing in shows including Smack the Pony, Absolutely Fabulous and Not Going Out. But when her sitcom Miranda burst on to our screens in 2009, her popularity rocketed. Miranda has since been crowned the Queen of Comedy at the British Comedy Awards and the hit series Miranda has won two further comedy awards, two RTS Awards, and been nominated for four BAFTAs. Miranda is currently filming a drama for BBC based on the bestselling memoir Call the Midwife. The third series of Miranda will air in autumn 2012."

For this review, I have decided to take a leaf out of Miranda's book, her Miranual, and address you as My Dear Reader Chum, which seems very fitting in the circumstances as I am guessing that looking at my blog you love reading too, hurrah!

So, My Dear Reader Chum, as anyone who read my post for the Liebster blog award will know, I love Miranda, she is amazing and I would quite happily be her best friend and play snack-fishing with her (a reference to her show for those who are confused). Reading her book was just like watching her in her show - her writing is the same as the way she speaks. You can really feel her enthusiasm and positivity about making the world a better place, even when you're feeling down. The book is funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

I wasn't sure if I would like her conversations with her younger self in the book but they definitely grew on me as the book progressed. Although occasionally I thought the conversations could have been a little shorter.

I really liked Miranda's pit stops in the book. This, MDRC, was where she took a breather from the main content of the book to create a checklist of the really random things that she does to see if you have done any of them too. I could tick off quite a lot of them, which is a little worrying but also weirdly makes me feel proud of myself for my clumsiness and occasional social awkwardness!

Miranda covers the following topics in her book: Life, music, hobbies, office life (she comes up with great office games, I fully support the idea of everyone leaving the office at lunch to play hopscotch outside), technology, beauty, bodies, exercise, diets, health, holidays, christmas, dogs, mothers and children, dating, weddings, culture, and dreams. So she clearly covers most aspects of life, although books were sadly missing!

As well as being really funny, Miranda makes some really astute observations in her book aswell. I love that she so fully supports being true to yourself and encourages you to follow your dreams. Her chapter on diets is brilliant, she writes:

"I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is:
Chapter One: Eat a bit less.
Chapter Two: Move about a bit more.
The End."

This is so true. I think all of the diet books that exist today are just ridiculous really.

There are so many great things about this book, and I can't even remember all the times I sat there reading and thinking, yes definitely and phew, it's not just me, whenever Miranda asked "Is it just me?" All I can really do MDRC is recommend you read it, both for a giggle and to feel better about life.

Overall, MDRC, I would have to reply to Miranda that no, it is definitely not just her!

8 out of 10 :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm slowly getting into humour books. I read Tina Fey last year. This one looks funny as well. Thanks for sharing.

    Found you on Goodreads. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read humour books either but this one is definitely worth reading. I would also recommend Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman, which is simply brilliant!

      Thanks for following, I've followed you back :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think :)