Thursday 28 February 2013

Glamour by Penelope Fletcher


Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 205 pages
Published October 7th 2010 by Poison Princess (first published October 1st 2010)
ASIN B00480OPOK

Blurb: “Rae Wilder has problems. Supernatural creatures swarm the earth, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Stalked by a handsome fairy who claims she is like him, demonkind, Rae thinks maybe it was a mistake breaking the rules by going over the Wall into demon territory. Plunged into a world of dark magics, fierce creatures, and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet. The changes to her mind and body are startling, but rather than accept her purpose she struggles against who she is destined to be. Throw in a big lust for a vampire who can't keep his hands off her, and life starts to get complicated. Rae is forced to make the ultimate choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control.”

It has been a while since I finished this book and I can’t remember hugely well what I thought of it, which already tells us something.

I will admit that I mostly downloaded the book because I thought the cover was pretty and because it was free. It turned out to be quite an enjoyable read. Some of the writing is a little bit off and could do with editing but the characters were quite engaging and the story had some tension and drama to it. I am still tempted to read the next one as I do want to know what happens next but I think the story needs a lot more development to reach its potential. I really like the idea behind the story but it needs more added to it and for many more questions to be answered.

Also, I have to admit that Rae gets on my nerves a bit – she’s just a bit wimpy considering she has just found out that she has magical powers and the potential to be really powerful and make a difference in the post-apocalyptic world. Hopefully in the next book she will get more of a grip and embrace a bit of girl-power!

It’s enjoyable if you like magic and a multitude of mythical creatures turning up (which I usually do). There is also a bit of a love triangle forming which could be interesting although the concept is becoming a bit jaded for me…

6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)