Saturday 9 May 2015

The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

Paperback, 432 pages
Published April 9th 2015 by Penguin UK (first published March 24th 2015)

Blurb: "Annie has a secret. But if she's not going to tell, we won't either. It's a heart-breaking secret she wishes she didn't have - yet Annie isn't broken, not quite yet. Especially now there's someone out there who seems determined to fix her.

Kate has run away. But she's not going to tell us why - that would defeat the point of running, wouldn't it? It's proving difficult to reinvent herself, however, with one person always on her mind.

Scratch beneath the surface and nobody is really who they seem. Even Annie and Kate, two old friends, aren't entirely sure who they are any more. Perhaps you can work it out, before their pasts catch up with them for good...

A gripping and unpredictable story of two young women running from their pasts. We defy you to guess the twist..."

I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while as I have read Lucy Robinson's other novels so I bought it on Kindle as soon as it was available. It definitely lived up to expectations! I find that often I can guess where a story is headed, even if just as a general inkling, but for once I definitely didn't guess the twist! When I realised the truth it completely changed my perception of the whole book. Obviously I don't want to give it away for you lovely people but I'd be interested to know if anyone else guessed sooner than I did?

For those who haven't read the book yet, it's a great story about two friends who are going through a lot of change in their lives. Annie has met a new man who takes more of an interest in her than she can believe possible and Kate has run away from her life in Ireland to live and work at a stable for racing horses to get a change of scene. As both stories develop you learn a lot about Kate and Annie and their friends. You also learn more about Annie's past and why she has always been uncomfortable around men. There are a lot of interesting relationships in this book and Lucy leaves you questioning many of the characters' motives as their lives are revealed to be complex.

There are many layers to this book and the story at times is very emotional and quite dark, however I also found myself laughing out loud at times. Lucy is a very talented writer and I will look forward to reading her future works. I highly recommend everyone to go out and buy this book!

Nine out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think :)